Still wondering what to get that certain someone? Don’t panic – we’ve got tons of ideas for you! Today, we’re focusing on our Backbeat bestselling books of 2014 to get things rolling for you…these are the books that have been flying off our shelves all year long. What’s the best book you read this year?
Bestselling Children’s Books:
– “I Can Read” books – Splat the Cat, the Berenstain Bears, Fancy Nancy and many other of your kids’ favourite characters get up to all kinds of crazy antics, grabbing your children’s attention as they learn to read. Priced at 3 books for just $9.99, they’re a great deal for parents who want to encourage fun while reading.– “Mix It Up!” by Herve Tullet – In the style of his previous book Press Here, (a Backbeat bestseller last year) this book focuses on colour mixing in an innovative, hands-on way. I particularly like that in the age of modern electronics, this simple yet inventive style engages children in a magical and vibrant way. (*Backbeat currently has signed copies of Mix It Up! in stock).
Bestselling Youth Books:
– “Minecraft” Handbooks – “The Beginner’s Handbook”, “The Redstone Handbook”, “The Combat Handbook”, “The Construction Handbook” and/or “The Complete Collection” – These books have been consistent bestsellers since their arrival at Backbeat. Kids of all ages can’t get enough of this addictive, imaginative game and these handbooks provide a distinct advantage to their online gameplay.
Bestselling Teen Books:
– “The Fault in Our Stars” by John Green – Teens and adults both enjoy this extremely popular book. Really, anything by John Green is a sure hit! We have many of his books in stock at the moment and some more on order arriving very soon.
– “The Book Thief” by Markus Zusak – It’s not a new release, but this book continues to capture readers’ attention years after its release. Winner of numerous awards, and on the New York Times bestseller list for 230 weeks, this book is always a popular choice with our customers.
Bestselling Hobbyist Books:
– The “Backyard Farming” series, with its easy-to-follow instructions and super price (just $6.99 per book!) makes a great gift for yourself or someone looking to expand their backyard beyond the usual lawn and gardens. Our current bestsellers are “Raising Chickens”, “Raising Goats” and “Keeping Honeybees”, but also included in the series are “Home Harvesting” and “Growing Garlic”.
Bestselling Mystery/Thriller Book:
– “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn – Yet another great book recently made into a movie, you can compare the two and see which version you like best. Customers have described this one as a “can’t put it down” thriller.
Bestselling Humour Book:
– “Let’s Pretend This Never Happened” by Jenny Lawson – One of the funniest books I’ve ever read, it’s pretty much guaranteed your stomach will hurt from laughter. Not a bad thing for over the holidays when sometimes all we really want to do is go hide in a corner with a really good book.
Bestselling Canadian Book:
– “The Orenda” by Joseph Boyden – This book won the CBC Canada Reads competition earlier this year as the “one novel to change our nation”. Whether or not you agree that with statement or not, it’s definitely been a much talked about book. Backbeat specially priced this book at 30% off the cover price as soon as it won the award, and it will stay discounted until the end of December, so now’s the time to pick it up if you haven’t already done so.
– “The Goldfinch” by Donna Tartt – A hit with both book clubs and dedicated readers, this is a whopper of a book clocking in at 771 pages, but that clearly hasn’t scared many people off! It continues to fly off the shelves and doesn’t show sign of slowing down anytime soon.
– “The Kings County Distillery Guide to Urban Moonshining” by David Haskell & Colin Spoelman – This book’s been a gift-giving hit since it hit our bookshelves earlier this year. With the current popularity of craft beers and local wines, this book showcases the history and hobby of a new generation of urban bootleggers distilling whiskey at home.
Bestselling Art/Colouring Books:
“Bun B’s Rap, Coloring & Activity Book” by Shea Serrano & Bun B and “Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt & Coloring Book” by Johanna Basford – While these colouring books firmly hit both ends of the spectrum, there’s definitely something appealing about each of them, as they’re consistently on our reorder list. Whether your style’s more gansta rap or beautifully detailed pen-and-ink illustrations, unleash your inner child and bring out the markers! You might also enjoy “The Punk Rock Fun Time Activity Book” or “The Heavy Metal Fun Time Activity Book” both by Aye Jay, both in stock right now.